Frequently Asked Questions
Your real life experience can be helpful to couples as you come alongside of them and help them to apply these concepts. Marriage mentors can be a fantastic aid in helping couples to heal.
- Care for other couples
- Be transparent, open and honest
- Listen without judgment
- Help a couple to become aware of their issues by not jumping to fixing or advice giving
- Share your own struggles and challenges
Mentors don’t have to be perfect, just working at it. We’ve found that some of the most successful mentor couples have gone through their own relationship struggles. In fact, we often recruit new mentors from couples that have been having problems. The act of mentoring helps both couples to improve their relationships.
- Evidence of significant physical or emotional abuse to the point where one partner expresses fear of the other.
- A history of significant mental health problems in either partner that would hinder productive engagement such as significant depression, significant addiction issues, bi-polar disorder, or psychotic disorders including schizophrenia.